Monday, January 25, 2010

Rhymes with "Sock."

I came down with stomach flu this weekend, which left me weak and ill-humored. Blech. Britt came to the rescue and took care of everything while I stayed in bed, and Penny stopped in periodically to check on me, and patted me reassuringly on the head. She has learned the sign for sick, and says, "Sick," while jabbing me pointedly in the forehead.

Last night we all slept horribly. My stomach still hurt, and Penny woke up at least 3 times, crying out in the middle of the night. This morning, she had a yucky nose, so she's either cutting more teeth, or she has a cold. Today I felt a bit better, but I'm sorry to say that Penny's persistent demands tried my patience. The incessant, "Mommy? Mommy? MomMEE!" was a bit much. My fear is that we do such a good job entertaining her, for the most part, that she can't (or won't) play by herself, because that's not as fun. But there are times when I just can't do it, and that makes me feel crappier than the worst case of stomach flu.

Penny: "Ride?"
Me: "Mommy can't give you a ride, Mommy's sick."
Penny: "Sick." (Jabs me in the forehead).
Me: "That's right."
Penny: "Ride?"

Meanwhile, she's jumped from 2 word utterances to 3 word phrases, although she's probably only intelligible to us. "More biscuit, please," and "Wash your hands!" are music to my ears. But repeating everything you hear has a downside:

Penny's also been singing a song, a song which uses a word I'm not going to type here because I don't want this site to pop up that much on certain browser searches. Let's just say, the word is also the word for a rooster, and we have no idea why Penny is saying it so much. I blame Britt, because he's the one who's been going around the house singing about a "Cockney Geezer," in the spirit of "The Mighty Boosh," and I'm pretty sure that's where she got the idea for her new song. And he still sings his song, despite my "icks-nay on the ock-ney eezer-gay!" because frankly, that song is about a scary hitchhiker who stabs people, and toddlers don't need to hear that, no matter how humorously it is sung.


But Penny also just learned the "5 Little Ducks" song, so she could just be walking around quacking, and it just comes out...that way. "Quack, quack, quack, quack!"

No comments: