Monday, November 30, 2009

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving has come and gone, but before things get crazy with tinsel and lights and carols, I just wanted to say (while it is still technically November) we had a nice weekend with our families and I didn't want it to end. Penny's Auntie Em and her Opa came to be with us, and we spent some time with Britt's family as well. I think I ate my body weight in carbs, and I might have to get out some maternity pants to wear for the next couple of weeks.

When I was little, my family had a tradition where we feasted like kings at my grandparents' house. Grandpa always made pies for dessert, and Grandma made caramel brownies and rice krispie squares with chocolate frosting *drools*. After we had digested somewhat, we'd eat some more and play our favorite games, like Scrabble and Rage.

Thanksgiving changed drastically for us when my grandparents died. For a while, we tried to improvise, but it wasn't the same, and I'm not sure my expectations were realistic. Then my mom died, and we had to figure out how to carry on without her.
This continues to be the problem with any holiday, really. Do we stick to the same script, or write a new one? We've had to adapt, which is hard, but my family still gets together, to eat and laugh and reminisce. My Thanksgiving Tradition is to make Grandma's caramel brownies, which are typically devoured over games, which go late into the night. And that makes me happy.

On Thanksgiving Day, I thought about things for which to be thankful. The first things I thought of were Penny, Britt, and my family. Then I thought of my friends. Then I thought about how much I hate our tiny kitchen, but at least we have one, and a house to live in as well. I'm glad I have a job I actually like. I'm grateful that Britt goes to work every day, even though he doesn't always want to.



As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to get excited for Christmas, mostly because now we have a reason to start some new traditions, and her name starts with "P," or "Eee," as she says, because she thinks every letter is the letter "E." Penny will be old enough to help us decorate the tree, and there are many treats I want to attempt to make. I'm already tired of the music, though.

4 comments:

TheSmash said...

Love the memories of food at Grandma & Grandpa T's. And I love that you are starting new traditions with Penny. <3

*mary* said...

She is too cute! Sounds like a good Thanksgiving.
And yeah- I am sick of the Christmas music already, too.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to be done with school so we can more "FHEs". (Remember when "FHE" used to be called "TV Bon Bon Night?" ha ha.) Something I am thankful for is you always trying to fill that void.

Love you,

m

Alisha said...

I'm tired of radio announcers constantly telling you how many shopping days left until christmas. Like I can't subtract what day it is from the number 25. Xavier thinks everything is a ball or a dog.