Friday, July 3, 2009

Summertime Rolls

To battle my cabin fever in June, we managed to get out of the house and do some fun things, mostly involving animals, which Penny seems to dig more and more every day. Here are some highlights.


Farm Days at Thanksgiving Point: We got to "churn" fresh butter by shaking it in a container, and made fresh ice cream by shaking it in a Ziploc bag full of ice. Sadly, Penny couldn't eat any of it, but I enjoyed it for her, and made it up to her later with a soy ice cream bar.


Penny loved the baby goats, but didn't care much for the adult ones.


Tracy Aviary—Our good friend Tara works there, so she hooked us up with a Friends and Family pass and gave us a great tour. Penny was really into the ducks, especially once she discovered they would swim over to eat the little pellets of food we bought for them. We're big fans of pelicans, which were swimming around in groups, not unlike really cool motorcycle gangs.


The Museum of Natural History has a frog exhibit going on, which Penny regarded with mild interest. Personally, I was wowed by the neon colored poisonous ones, but Penny's response was, "Meh, can I run around now?" The frogs didn't take long, so we took advantage of the chance to explore the rest of the building and the other exhibits.

It's been fun to visit these places that have been off my radar lately. I've been thinking about the various "phases" I went through as a kid: The dinosaur phase, the astronomy phase, the marine biology phase. I'm sure we'll be visiting these places again and again, which is fine with me.

No comments: