Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Penny's First Christmas


I am happy to report that Penny has saved Christmas for us. Since my mom died, this holiday has been one of the hardest to endure. But now we have a fun new distraction and a reason to come up with new family traditions, while preserving some from the past. For example, this year, Penny's Aunt Meg and (hopefully-someday-soon-to-be-Uncle) Paddy helped us decorate the tree, while listening to such Christmas classics as "Christmas in Hollis" by Run DMC.

I told myself that this year, I wasn't going to do any running around on the 24th, and utterly failed. Fortunately, Auntie Em helped keep Penny entertained while we battled the crowds of other procrastinators. Christmas Eve was spent celebrating (aka eating) with family and friends, and then we opened presents (twice!) with both sides of the family on Christmas Day, and then ate some more. Penny's Opa and Auntie Em drove across the freezing highways of Wyoming to be with us, and it was wonderful to spend time with everyone. You could even say it warmed the cockles of my heart. I've always wanted to write that.

We had so much snowfall on the 25th, all of Penny's Aunties had to sleep over at our house, and when we woke up, we made a huge pancake breakfast for everyone. Good times!

Happy New Year to all of our friends and family!

2 comments:

Ironic collector said...

You know, you can see a doctor about removing those heart-cockles
-Mags
P.S. I'm glad y'all had a good Christmas - that inflames my heart-cockles too!

Sheree said...

Holy Technicolor Dream Coat of a Christmas Tree, Batman!

Oh, and so glad you had a wonderful Christmas. My cockles are warming just reading about it.