Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer Visitors


(Rani to Penny: Thanks for not throwing up
on me today.)


I consider myself pretty lucky because I have two friends, Liz and Rani, who have been in my life since elementary/middle school and no matter how much time passes, we are still Kindred Spirits who can always pick up where we left off, even if we haven't talked in a while. Another bonus: They like my husband and my husband likes them. That doesn't always happen.


(Liz to Penny: And then Elizabeth realizes Mr. Darcy
actually loves her and they live happily ever after.)

We no longer live in close proximity to one another, so hanging out together is more or less an event involving lots of planning and flying hundreds and hundreds of miles. I was thrilled when they said they wanted to splurge on the airfare to meet Penny!

The weekend was filled with catching up, eating at some of our favorite places, and the obligatory shopping for cute baby clothes. And there was even a chance for "mommy time," which meant Penny stayed home with her dad and I got to go shopping with my friends. And I bought things. Things for ME. Huzzah! Although I have to say that trying on clothes post-pregnancy was still a bit of a shock. We also had some deep philosophical discussions, AKA "girl talk," which used to happen on the merry-go-round at the park. This time it was over tea in SLC.


We wanted to get out of the valley and do the outdoorsy thing, but forgot that Little Cottonwood Canyon still has snow in June. A lot of snow. But it was still fun.



We also tested out the Well Known Scandinavian Baby Carrier we have on loan. Penny didn't hate it, but she didn't love it either. There was some cute protesting on her part that went largely ignored in the fresh mountain air. All in all it was a fabulous weekend, one I hope can be repeated many, many times.



No comments: